Ditch and switch is a health series on this blog revolving around making your home chemical free. I’ll be listing the products I have switched to with success!
We are exposed to hundreds of chemicals throughout our day and our bathroom products are extremely concerning because we put them on our skin! Our skin is like a sponge and most of those chemicals get drawn into your body. Yuck! In the hopes of limiting the amount of chemicals in my body I have slowly started ditching the chemical filled products and switching to alternatives. You can check out the last Ditch and Switch blog post here. I wrote about one of the main items in our bathrooms that are filled with chemicals: Makeup. If you want to find out some of the natural products I use please keep reading!
Coconut Oil: tons of uses! Have you been on Pinterest lately?
- Use it as your shave cream! I have a little jar I keep filled with coconut oil in my shower to shave with. It works better than shave cream and there aren’t any harsh chemicals. My skin has never been more hydrated and soft. You might think that this is more expensive BUT if you think about how expensive that bottle of shave cream is…it evens out. Buy bulk coconut oil…use it for everything. I use a little glass jar but fair warning you might want to use plastic.
- I use it in my deodorant recipe! LOVE it.
- Hand cream/Foot cream- rough spots? Coconut oil to the rescue.
- Use it as a carrier oil for Essential Oils.
Norwex Body Cloths: I use these to remove my eye makeup! They are amazing. Just get them damp, hold over your eye for 10 seconds, and then rub gently. Boom. No chemicals here and a reusable product! Wham bam.
Essential Oil Beauty Serum: An amazing Young Living serum that has Cedarwood EO, Coconut oil, Avocado oil, Blue Cypress wood oil, Lavender EO, Myrrh EO, Clove flower bud oil, Wolfberry seed oil, Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood EO, plus other great ingredients.
- Add two to three drops in Argan Oil for my hair. Use less for shorter hair. I get complimented on how amazing my hair smells regularly.
- I also use this in hair masks!
- Add one drop in your moisturizer before bed.
Art Trio: Gentle Cleanser, Toner, and Moisturizer- all from Young Living. What they do have: Essential Oils! What they don’t have: Parabens, Synthetic colors, Fragrance, Phthalates, Triclosan, Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) / Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), Formaldehyde, or Toluene! Read more on their blog here.
- Gentle Foaming Cleanser: the name gives it away, this cleanser is very gentle, still does it’s job, and doesn’t dry your skin out. It feels amazing on my skin and smells so good!
- Toner: I had no idea what I was missing before using this toner. I will never go without toner again.
- Moisturizer: this light moisturizer does wonders without clogging my pores (on days when I am feeling a bit drier I add one or two drops of the Young Living Essential Oil Beauty Serum to my moisturizer)
- Beauty Hint: I use it all 3 of these on my face, neck, upper back, chest, and shoulders. A little goes a long way and I don’t notice I have to reorder that much more frequently to do this. Besides, women spend literally hundreds of dollars on products with secrets to anti-aging. These products have EOs in them and are less pricey AND I use them all over. Boomski.
Toothpaste: Did you know fluoride, that thing your dentist and the government has been telling you since you were 5 that you need, is actually a neurotoxin? Google fluoride neurotoxin. In my opinion, I don’t want to use fluoride in my toothpaste or in my water. Feel free to not listen to me and make up your own mind. If you have the same reaction I did when I found this out, “WTF”. Then Young Living’s Aromabright toothpaste is for you. I love it! It doesn’t have a strong, weird taste that other natural toothpastes have. And I have had the best check ups in my life since using this toothpaste. Plus I floss more too.
If you’re interested in finding out what chemicals are lurking in your bathroom, I would suggest downloading the ThinkDirty App. It doesn’t have every single product but gives you a good idea about whats bad and what isn’t. Hashtag not an ad. I started scanning all my products and freaked. I slowly have been trading out all my products and wanted to share my successes. Hopefully this will make it easier for you to ditch and switch too!
Subscribe to this blog for more Ditch and Switch posts, essential oil posts, and yoga posts. Please get in touch with me through the Contact Me page if you have any questions or if you are ready to jump on the oil train click here!
Much of the information within my essential oil posts I have learned in my course study with The School for Aromatic Studies and from personal usage.